Some days I feel as if I am on a bobsleigh run that someone else is driving. I mean, I can shift my weight around to adjust direction a bit, but in the the end, someone else is steering and I am in a one-way tunnel of ice being pulled along by gravity-a nemesis I've never been able to overcome for any sustained length of time.
I had an interesting conversation with a man I work with last week. His education background is in English and Museum Studies, but he explained that he was equipped with an eclectic array of passions and interests which have made his career path quite interesting. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the interests and skills that I have were more of a practical joke than an attempt to prepare me for a meaningful life.
Like Franklin, I can tie my shoes and count by twos, and that's about as much of a pattern as exists. I can be perfectly content in a peaceful atmosphere paddling a canoe and using a fishing rod. I love all sports, especially hockey. I can spend an afternoon under the hood of a car or stacking firewood. I can write a half decent essay if there is any chance of an execution in the morning and I can speak in front of people with some degree of ease. I can run a snake down a toilet drain and I can use a spokeshave. I love learning new skills and hate monotonous repetitive tasks.
If I ever get this MA completed I'll be quite qualified, not for anything in particular-just qualified.
Oh well, maybe one day a suitable vocation will hit me over the head. Until then I find I am happiest if I just go with whatever job pops up, odds are that I will actually quite like it.
tot ziens
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment